Poor English in “The Indian Express”
The standard of English continues to deteriorate in Indian newspapers. I read “The Indian Express” these days. Students read English newspapers with a view to improve their general awareness as well as their English language. Their aim of improving English language gets defeated by the poor quality of English written in the newspapers. It is high time that the editors start paying serious attention to improving the quality of English written.
Sample of Poor English
Refer to the article written by Jonathan Selvaraj about Boxer Vijender’s bout on Page 17 of “The Indian Express” dated 21 Dec 2015. A sentence from the article is reproduced below:
“Unable to deal with Vijender’s jab, he didn’t have an alternate plan and scarcely threw a punch over the course of the first round even as Vijender’s right hand thudded all to frequently.”
What should have been the correct way to write is given for the benefit of my students:
Unable to deal with Vijender’s jab, he did not have an alternative plan and scarcely threw a punch over the course of the first round even as Vijender’s right hand thudded all too frequently.
What Does the Sample Show?
The sample shows the following:
- Very poor knowledge of English by the author.
- Casual and poor editing.
- Three mistakes in one sentence should be a cause for embarrassment for the editor.
- I request some of my readers to communicate this message to the editor in the hope that the paper improves the quality of English.
- A message for my students is that they should not read these newspapers to improve their English for obvious reasons.
- I request the editor of “The Indian Express” to improve his English and ensure higher standard of language in his paper.
- The editor should take a strict test of English before hiring the news reporters and sack them if their standard does not improve.
Colonel M.M Nehru
Colonel M.M Nehru Is Consultant in Personality Development Coach .Nehru Sir Provide Online Guidance to SSB Aspirants by online .Nehru Sir also Write top Articles here for motivating students and increasing their g.k level.If U want to more about Colonel Nehru Click Here