Life at NDA?
I have been a cadet & also an instructor at NDA. Life at NDA is great. I teaches you to adopt a very good lifestyle which I have tried to follow till date. The salient features are:
- Get up early and exercise regularly.
- Training for games and academics ( preparation for exams) can be pursued simultaneously and there is no problem.
- If you have been studying and exercising regularly then there is no need to panic before a physical test or an academic exam. Just follow your regular routine. I have been sleeping by 10:00 or 10:30 pm during preparation for any exam much later in life after leaving NDA. My son & I have had strenuous Tennis and fitness sessions during his CA exams, which he cleared.
- When you face difficulties together you learn about the true character of your colleagues. NDA training offers ample opportunities for the same. Thus you make some of the best bonds which not only stay with you for life, but also get passed down to the next generation. My NDA course-mate’s daughter was my first student. He never tried to find out as to what methodology I was using to train students. He knew me & that was enough for him to trust me to guide his daughter. I did not let him down!
- Apart from my course-mates I have great friends among those who were my students at NDA and they continue to repose total faith in me & so do I!
- I am a great advocate of NDA type lifestyle for everybody in the formative years. The lifestyle has been great for me and my family. Please adopt it!
Life can be deemed tough by many because of the following reasons:
- The training is vast and includes academic as well as outdoor tests, including things like ‘drill’, ‘physical training’ ‘horse riding’, ‘workshop’, ‘weapons training’ and special service subjects for the service opted- Army, Air Force or Navy. The trainees have to pass all the tests and any failure would imply relegation by a term.
- For the cadets who are not physically strong running cross-country runs and passing the fitness tests could be a night mare.
- For the mentally and physically soft cadets adjusting to the hierarchical social life in the 15 NDA Squadrons, each having a unique tradition and culture, can be quite a challenge.
Cradle for Future Leaders
When you learn to take bath and change in less than 10 min, eat breakfast and dinner in a few min, shave with stuff used to shine your field equipment, use oil to shine your table and shine the floor with your old beret, undergo numerous dress inspections, shine brass ware and stitch buttons at mid night, listen to meaningless lectures of low-IQ seniors you become habituated to survive in adversity & as they say you become a man from a boy!
Subsequent Training at Respective Service Institutes
NDA cadets when they reach the respective Army, Air Force & Naval training establishments have an edge over the cadets who come through CDS & AFCAT entries because of having been through the rigorous NDA training. The NDA training will hold you in good stead till the time you live!