How to sustain the enthusiasm you started exercising with?
Starting to exercise is not very difficult. However, sustaining the enthusiasm is not easy and most people give up within a month. Maintaining regularity is vital. Let us analyze the reasons why the initial euphoria dips & what is the way to sustain our spirit.
Why Exercise Enthusiasm Wanes?
- Anything new is charming. The initial euphoria takes an individual through one-two weeks.
- Some progress is also visible initially. As time passes, the rate of progress recedes.
- Self doubts creep in- Will the desired objectives ever be attained?
- There are often aches, pains and injuries, which can be quite demoralizing! Initial over enthusiasm is often a reason for injuries.
- The motive for exercising itself is weak. More often than not it is appearance related- visible chest and bicep muscles for boys and slimness for girls.
- We have easy excuses- Work pressure, pressure of studies and so on. The long term benefits are not very apparent.
- The work/study pressure as it is seems tiring, hence the idea of exercising appears not very appealing- it apparently tires one further.
- Lack of patience & desire to get results overnight.
Exercise Enthusiasm Sustenance- Methods
- The right motive should be long-term: health and fitness. Incorporating exercising in your lifestyle. If this is the motive then smaller goals; like appearance will get automatically achieved.
- If we intrinsically believe that regular exercising is good for us then we will be able to subdue emotional impulses to not exercise, by our conviction to exercise regularly (our value).
- Have patience. Results cannot be obtained overnight. The rate of progress will slow down. This is the truth in accordance with nature. The world-record holder athlete has to work very hard to maintain the standard, forget about improvement.
- Some injuries, aches and pains are an inevitable part of exercising. However, these negatives are far outweighed by the long-term benefits.
- We should realize that exercising helps improve our performance at work and studies. This is the truth, though it is often not apparent.
Starting up is easy, pursuing your objectives is difficult. The key is to set your eyes on a long-term objective and breaking it down into smaller, almost daily achievable goals.
Col. Nehru has helped thousands of youngsters get more effective in their lives. If you would like to be helped, feel free to get in touch!
If you would like to access all our blogs on “Health and Fitness”, click here.