Guidance for Psychology Tests and GTO in SSB?
Some very common questions asked about my online guidance plan by prospective students are:
- Is guidance provided for screening test?
- Do I guide for GTO tests?
- Do I guide for Psychology tests?
- How is guidance possible for GTO tests without physically doing the obstacles?
- How SSB guidance is possible without contact classes?
In this blog I have answered these questions.
What does SSB Assess?
SSB assesses the 15 OLQs as defined by the Services as criteria for selection. You can know about the qualities in simple words from my past blog:
The same 15 qualities are assessed by the three assessors: Psychologist, GTO and interviewing officer through their respective techniques. The assessment part is the domain of experts and should not be of much concern for SSB aspirants.
Personality Development is Vital
For SSB aspirants the concern should be to ensure that they develop their personality to be found adequate by SSB. This process involves just two essential aspects:
- Identifying the personality deficiencies.
- Working to improve the identified deficiencies.
Challenges for Aspirants and Me
The challenges for SSB aspirants are both of the above. The challenges for me and the student are the following:
- Formulating a plan to overcome the identified weaknesses to meet each specific student’s needs. ( This is a minor challenge).
- Execution of the plan primarily by the student under a supervision or audit plan devised jointly by us. This is the biggest challenge because it involves the following on the part of the candidate:
- Acceptance of the identified deficiencies.
- Motivation to overcome the deficiencies.
- Having faith that the plan made to improve will succeed.
- Working systematically, patiently and enthusiastically to improve oneself.
- Not giving up the planned efforts initially or midway due to weak motivation, willpower, discipline and ability to lead an organized life. Weaknesses in these aspects are the major reasons for inadequate improvement. These problems have to be overcome by the candidate only. Parental supervision, friend’s support may be of little help, but basically the individual has to execute the devised plan for improvement on his own. There is no short cut or out sourcing possible!
Preparation for Screening Test, Psychology Test, GTO and Interview
Guidance is provided for all the aspects which will be encountered in SSB including Screening test, psychology test, GTO and interview. This is not a big challenge.
Screening Test: Online preparation and guidance is very much possible for the test and is provided.
Psychology Test: It is a written test and hence online guidance is absolutely effective and is provided.
GTO Test: A legitimate doubt is that as to how can ability to physically cross obstacles be provided online? The answers are:
- To perform the group tasks mental abilities are required, which can be developed without physically doing the tasks.
- Physical fitness required for doing the individual obstacles and snake race has to be developed by planned exercising and not continuously crossing the obstacles. This planning and guidance is very much possible online and is provided.
Interview: Guidance for interview definitely requires no face to face meeting and guidance is provided.
Conclusion: Planned, Systematic Effort by Candidate: Biggest Challenge
From the above discussion it would be clear that guidance is provided for each step of the SSB process and online guidance is quite effective. The major challenge for my students remains effective execution of the plan made for personal improvement, in which no amount of supervision can be effective. This has to be done by the student himself/herself.