I am writing this blog about Kashmir; the changes being brought in Kashmir by Modi & try to look ahead as to what the future may hold. I will avoid use of any legal terms to keep the comprehension of ideas simple.
Some Relevant Facts
represent the following Hindu majority thinking:
- Which is interested in control of Kashmir’s land without any care for the Kashmiri people.
- Which support destruction of the Babri Masjid & would celebrate forcible construction of Ram Mandir at Ayodhya.
- Which is in consonance with the two-nation theory supported by Jinnah & is against the secular idea of Gandhi-Nehru.
- Which does not respect democracy & Constitution.
- Despite being a Muslim majority, Kashmir acceded to India under duress and hence was granted a special status. Kashmiri people represented to the world defiance of Jinnah’s two-nation theory & the acceptance of the idea of a secular India of Gandhi-Nehru.
- Article 370 has been diluted greatly over time and remained till recently as just a fig-leaf of self-respect to the Kashmiris.
- Democracy has been suppressed, elections rigged and the centre controlled Kashmir consistently in the past.
- The tragedy of the eviction of Kashmiri Pandits from Kashmir in the 1990s remains an unresolved issue.
- An important ingredient in the long-term solution of the Kashmir problem lies in changing the demography of Kashmir with greater induction of non-Muslims & Kashmiri Pandits. This was apparently not feasible in the existing status-quo.
- Kashmiris have mistrusted the central government in the past and the mistrust and alienation has increased in the past 5-year Modi misrule.
- The number of Kashmiri militants has increased in the last 5 years.
- Modi has dealt with Kashmir as a law and order issue and not tried the approach of dialogue. In the Modi method of tackling the Kashmir problem things would have only deteriorated further, implying increased militancy, greater deployment of troops and greater casualties of Kashmiris as well as security forces.
Essence of Shah’s Statements in Parliament
Shah’s promise that economy of Kashmir will improve and Kashmiris will be better integrated by abrogation of Article-370 is all trash. Modi has ruined the economy of entire India so for the people of Kashmir to expect improvement in their economy and creation of jobs is a bad joke.
Validity of Abrogation of Article-370?
The present and past CMs of Kashmir have been put under house arrest. The affected people (Kashmiris) have not been consulted. Removal of Article-370 is an absolutely undemocratic act. The demotion of the state to the status of two separate Union Territories is apparently an act of humiliation for Kashmiris.
Good Part of Abrogation of Article-370
The good part of the abrogation of this act is that it will pave the way for slowly changing the demography of Kashmir as has been done by China in Tibet. This, in my view, is a vital step towards the solution of the Kashmir problem. China is of course not a democracy. India used to be some kind of a democracy once upon a time.
- Alienation of Kashmiris will increase.
- Militancy will increase.
- More Kashmiris and security personnel will die.
- These things would have happened in Modi-misrule in any case, only the degree may have been lesser.
- Please don’t expect Ambani & Adani to start investing in Kashmir in the next 5 years!
Long Term Future?
India may achieve what China has achieved in Tibet by changing the demography of Kashmir in the long run. Since I also feel that changing the demography is vital to the long-term solution of Kashmir problem and I do not know of some civil and democratic means of doing so. Hence, I feel the abrogation of Article-370 will prove to be a good step in the long term.