SSB Repeaters: Don’t waste Time in Introspection!
SSB repeaters develop some common traits. One very serious personality problem developed is of wasting great amount of time in introspection to effect self improvement. This is very much apparent in some of my students. In this blog I have explained why this exercise actually does great harm than any good in most cases and why it should be avoided.
Selection System is Not Foolproof
The selection system is not a foolproof system. It is just the best system that the Defence Services have been able to evolve. It means that:
- Few candidates who should have been rejected are selected.
- Few candidates who should have been selected are rejected.
Reasons for Rejection in SSB
Reasons for rejection in SSB is being ‘assessed as inadequate’ in one or several qualities required for selection. Assessment of inadequacy in some quality/qualities does not necessarily mean that the candidate lacks the required quality/qualities. It does not mean that the selected candidates are more competent than the rejected candidates, but definitely ‘assessed as being more suited’ to become officers in the Defence Services. Rejection also does not mean the following (contrary to popular perception):
There is ‘something wrong with the psychology’ of the rejected person.
Common Perceptions of Rejected Candidates
The rejected candidates tend to often think that they got rejected because there was ‘something wrong with their psychology’ or they did not ‘out shout others’ in the group discussion of the ‘Screening In’ process. Both these perceptions are more often than not wrong. The psychology aspect is the biggest common problem and leads to the following popular time wasters:
- Great amount of time wasted in practice of psychology tests.
- Endless introspection to identify what is wrong with oneself.
Don’t Waste Time in Introspection
Some major problems are caused by introspection to identify what is wrong with oneself. These problems often are:
- Lowers your self confidence because the basic thought to identify flaws in yourself starts with the premise that something is not okay. The more people you consult the more differing views you get and greater is the confusion. You tend to get thoughts that not just a few but several things are wrong. Example: If Dhoni was to take the assessment of the expert critics very seriously he would have been out from the Indian team long back. He is there because of his self belief.
- The exercise results in wasted time which could have been utilised more productively.
- Development of the bad habit of wasting time in life.
The solution for most (and definitely for all my students) is to waste no time at all in introspecting. It is much better to utilize the time to improve the following and enhance your all round competence:
- Communication skills.
- Knowledge of subjects you have been studying or the line of work.
- Physical fitness.