SSC Scam – Hurting the Youth!
This is a guest blog by Satyendra. Unfortunately, the scared media, other than NDTV has not covered this important news. Please share it with friends to increase awareness.
The Staff Selection Commission or SSC Scam is big news. The protests are creating a pressure on the government as well as on Asim Khurana, Chairperson of SSC. Malpractices, cheating, and the leakage of SSC CGL 2017 papers are the real reasons behind this protest. This protest was first started on Facebook groups with a hashtag #sscscam, but the delays in the joining dates given to previously selected SSC candidates added to the number of protesters against the corrupt system. In this blog I have analyzed the scam.
Brief on SSC
SSC is an autonomous body under Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT), whose main task is to conduct examinations for the recruitment of non-gazetted staff under Group “C” and Group “B” in several central government ministries and departments as well as subordinate offices. This autonomous body was established in 1975 with the name as Subordinate Services Commission, but later in 1977, it was renamed as Staff Selection Commission. The Commission constitutes a Chairperson, two members and a secretary-cum-controller of examination.
- Leakage of papers- Several times, it has been reported that papers of several SSC exams especially SSC CGL2017 were leaked before the commencement of exam. Following this, it was also alleged that screenshots of question papers and answers were doing the rounds on social media, before the commencement of exam or while it was underway.
- Cheating- It is alleged by several students that SSC is not conducting the exam fairly. Private vendors responsible for the conduct were allegedly taking money from students to provide the answer key before the commencement of the exam.
- Delay in the joining- Delay in giving joining dates is also a reason behind this protest. Several students who stood in the final merit list of exams like SSC CGL 2015, SSC CHSL 2015 & SSC CHSL 2016 did not get their joining date, affecting their careers.
Demands of Protestors
- CBI Inquiry- Time-bound CBI Inquiry is the immediate demand of the protestors in the SSC Exam. They want CBI Inquiry in SSC MTS exam too.
- Normalization- Students want normalization in all SSC examinations if the examinations are conducted in multiple days and multiple shifts.
- Change of vendors- Private vendors have been seen in malpractice of cheating and leaking of papers several times. They are the main source of irregularities. Hence, immediate change of vendors is the key demand of the protestors.
- Representation list- Several times, it is found that SSC releases many wrong answers and if any candidate who wants to challenge the particular answer, then he must submit RS 100 per question. Hence, protestors want that if the challenge is correct then RS.100 should be refunded.
SSC Chairman’s Stand & Government’s Stand
Recently Asim Khurana has given an interview in a news channel, in which he told that Ravish Kumar, a reporter of NDTV, played a key role in the evocation of this protest. He told that his job series at NDTV created a rumor of irregularities among students and after seeing that several students started their baseless protest in front of CGO complex. Union Home Minister Raj Nath Singh has ordered a CBI Inquiry, but students want written evidence of the order because the youth does not trust the ‘Jumla government of Modi’.
PIL in Supreme Court
A section of the protestors have already filed a PIL in SC against malpractice in SSC examinations and against the involvement of several officials of SSC. SC has asked the government to respond to the petition seeking an inquiry. The case will be heard on 19 Mar 2018.
Unemployment is a major problem for the youth as well as the government. Modi is facing the heat from the opposition. It is in his interest to establish the credibility of the government by conducting a quick and fair investigation into the issue and take strict action against the culprits at the earliest.
Though not proven in a court of law, but in the court of the youth the SSC Chairman and the government are guilty!