Time Management- Part 2

Time Management- Part 2

In “Time Management- Part 1” we understood the ideas of categorising our activities in the 4 Quadrants. In “Time Management- Part 2″ it is explained as to how spending time in Quadrants 1, 3 and 4 is not good for us in the long run.

Latest Concepts in Time Management (Apart from Covey’s thoughts)

The latest concepts on time management include calendars, appointment books, & focus on the idea of prioritization, of clarifying values, & of comparing the relative worth of activities based on their relationship to those values. In addition it focuses on setting goals- specific long, intermediate, & short term targets toward which time & energy would be directed in harmony with values. It includes the concept of daily planning, of making a specific plan to accomplish those goals & activities determined to be of greatest worth.

Covey’s Concept of Time Management

Covey suggests a superior approach to time management. The approach suggests that the term, ‘Time Management’ itself is flawed, because the key issue is to manage ourselves & not time management!

 

“THE KEY IS NOT TO PRIORITIZE WHAT IS ON YOUR SCHEDULE, BUT TO SCHEDULE YOUR PRIORITIES”!

As long we focus on Quadrant 1 it keeps getting bigger and bigger & dominates the individual. Some people are literally beaten by problems all day, every day. The only relief they have is in escaping to the not important, not urgent activities of Quadrant 4.  So when we look at their matrix, 90% time is in Quadrant 1 & most of the remaining 10% is in Quadrant 4.

Some people spend a great deal of time in “urgent, but not importantQuadrant 3, perceiving them to be in Quadrant 1. They spend a lot of time reacting to things that are urgent, assuming they are also important. The reality is that the urgency of these matters is often based on the priorities & expectations of others & not their own values & goals.

People who spend time almost exclusively in Quadrants 3 and 4 basically lead irresponsible lives.

In Time Management- Part 3 we shall explain as to why focusing on Quadrant 2 is essential to enhance our personal effectiveness.

 

 

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on whatsapp
WhatsApp

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Post comment