“Saare Jahan Se Achcha, Hindustan Hamara!”
Independence Day is good time to take stock as to where they stand today? Have we traveled in the right direction? Are we heading in the right direction? What should you & I do to change course, if required?
“Not so Achcha Modistan Hamara!”
In 4 years of Modi misrule we witness the following in India:
- Press has the freedom to publish Modi’s false propaganda but not raise genuine issues or criticise Modi-Shah.
- Criminals in the name of cow & saving “Hindus” have freedom to attack Muslims & Dalits. Muslims & Dalits are not free to expect justice.
- Modi-Shah have freedom to decide who is a nationalist but farmers and ex-servicemen are protesting to get a fair deal.
“Not so Achcha Yogi-Pradesh Hamara!”
In the 2 years of Yogi misrule we witness the following in UP:
- Freedom of Police to conduct ( apparently false) encounter killings.
- Freedom of Hindus to attack Muslims.
- Freedom of ‘Kanwarias’ to cause a loss of approximately Rs 1000/- crore and cause hardships and harassment to tax-payers in using roads & be showered upon with flowers by Yogi & Police authority using tax-payers’ money!
- Freedom of BJP politicians to rape and murder.
What Makes Us Proud?
What makes us proud is that Pakistan, Sri Lanka & Bangladesh have probably done worse than us. This is hardly any reason to be proud of but it gives us reason to think & deduce reasons for why we are better than them.
What has Helped Indian Society Fare Better?
In my view what have kept us better than our neighbours are the following:
- The idea of India as espoused in our Constitution is far superior to Modi/ Sonia/Rajiv/Indira’s idea of India.
- When we have faced threats to freedom under Indira or now under Modi some brave judges, media persons and citizens have stood up against injustice.
- Our Defence Forces have been secular, apolitical & brave. We won the Kargil War. A war, which in my view would not have a parallel for being strategically fought so badly & yet won through sheer bravery!
- Just because we are forced to take flights from Indira Gandhi named airports & shop at ‘Rajiv Chowks’, Indira and Rajiv do not represent the idea of India as much as Modi also does not. These people exercised power for short durations and after centuries would appear as pygmies in history in comparison to those involved in the freedom struggle and framers of our Constitution.
“Saare Jahan se Achcha, Hindustan Hamara!”
We the people of India are the masters of our destiny. We are lucky to have the idea of India framed in our Constitution and a few brave men/women, (to inspire us), who have had the courage to stand for what is right in the past & also now. If we try it is not that difficult to be a Judge like Khanna or a reporter like Prasun Bajpai to realise the idea of India as envisioned by the framers of our Constitution. To state that India today is the best would be fooling ourselves. We can & must resolve to make tomorrow: “Saare Jahan Se Achcha, Hindustan Hamara!”